The Steering Committee consists of Senate officers, committee chairs, and other delegates elected by the Senate, as well as one non-voting member selected by the Provost in consultation with the Senate President. Delegates need not be senators to be elected.
- Uzma Z. Rizvi, President, ex-officio (Full-Time Faculty, Social Science & Cultural Studies)
- Deb Caponera, Finance Officer, ex-officio (Full-Time Faculty, Associate Degree Program)
- Nancy Smith, Information Officer, ex-officio (Full-Time Faculty, School of Information)
- Farzam Yazdanseta, Outreach Officer, ex-officio (Acting Associate Chairperson, Undergraduate Architecture, School of Architecture)
- Amy Ballmer, Parliamentarian, ex-officio (Chair of Library Teaching, Library)
- Nicholas Dease, Institute Curriculum Committee Chair, ex-officio (Digital Learning Librarian, Library)
- Sean Sullivan, Academic Policy Committee Chair, ex-officio (Part-Time Faculty, Foundation Art & Design)
- Dean Sidaway, Distinguished Teacher Award Committee Chair, ex-officio (Full-Time Faculty, Fashion Design, School of Design)
- Irene Lopatovska, Faculty Development Fund Committee Chair, ex-officio (Full-Time Faculty, School of Information)
- Saul Anton, Research Recognition Award Committee Chair, ex-officio (Full-Time Faculty, Fine Arts, School of Art)
- Courtney Knapp, Academic Service Award Chair, ex-officio (Full-Time Faculty, School of Architecture)
- Amanda Huynh (Full-Time Faculty, Industrial Design, School of Design)
- James Lipovac, (Part-Time Faculty, Foundation Art & Design)
- Maria Sieira (Part-Time Faculty, Graduate Architecture, School of Design)
- Russ Abell, Director of Libraries (non-voting)
Officers serve three year terms, and other committee members serve one year terms, renewable without limit.
The Steering Committee
- a. makes interim decisions for the Senate, such actions being consistent with previous Senate actions and being subject to review and, if so desired, approval at subsequent Senate meetings;
- b. hears the reports of all Senate committees and take actions in accordance with the purposes of the Senate;
- c. reviews the structure and operation of the Senate and making recommendations to the Senate regarding these issues;
- d. convenes and prepares agenda for Senate meetings;
- e. recommends an annual budget to the Senate in consultation with the appropriate committees and based on the budget proposal submitted by the Financial Officer;
- f. conducts nominations, elections, and other votes with constituents; and
- g. establishes whatever special committees are deemed necessary to discharge its responsibilities.
Officers and committee chairs, as well as part-time faculty serving as Steering Committee delegates, receive compensation according to the Senate Compensation Policy.
The Steering Committee meets monthly during the fall and spring semesters.
Oct 4, 2022, 12:30 pm
Nov 1, 2022, 12:30 pm
Jan 31, 2023, 12:30 pm
Mar 7, 2023, 12:30 pm
Apr 11, 2023, 12:30 pm
For the full Senate schedule, see Meetings.
Nominations & Elections
Elections for committee chairs and delegates are held each spring semester. Officers are elected every three years. See Nominations for details on deadlines and procedures.