The Steering Committee consists of Senate officers, committee chairs, and other delegates elected by the Senate, as well as one non-voting member selected by the Provost in consultation with the Senate President. Delegates need not be senators to be elected.
- Uzma Z. Rizvi, President, ex-officio (Full-Time Faculty, Social Science & Cultural Studies)
- Maria Sieira, Finance Officer, ex-officio (Acting Associate Chairperson, Undergraduate Architecture, School of Architecture)
- Sebastian Kaupert, Information Officer, ex-officio (Part-Time Faculty, School of Design)
- Jason Vigneri-Beane, Outreach Officer, ex-officio (Associate Professor, Undergraduate Architecture)
- Amy Ballmer, Parliamentarian, ex-officio (Chair of Library Teaching, Library)
- Amit Kalra, Institute Curriculum Committee Chair (Interim), ex-officio (Part-time Faculty, School of Design)
- Nida Abdullah, Academic Policy Committee Chair, ex-officio (Full-time Faculty, School of Design)
- Dean Sidaway, Distinguished Teacher Award Committee Chair, ex-officio (Full-Time Faculty, Fashion Design, School of Design)
- Irene Lopatovska, Faculty Development Fund Committee Chair, ex-officio (Full-Time Faculty, School of Information)
- Brendan Moran, Academic Service Award Chair, ex-officio (Part-Time Faculty, School of Design)
- Jeffrey Hogrefe, Research Recognition Award Committee Chair, ex-officio (Full-Time Faculty, School of Liberal Arts)
- Damon Chaky, ex-officio (Full-Time Faculty, School of Liberal Arts)
- Chad Smith, ex-officio (Part-Time Faculty, School of Architecture)
- Michael Enright, ex-officio (Full-Time Faculty, School of Art)
- Xinyi Li, ex-officio (Full-Time Faculty, School of Design)
- Russ Abell, Director of Libraries (non-voting)
Officers serve three-year terms, and other committee members serve one-year terms, renewable without limit.
The Steering Committee
- a. makes interim decisions for the Senate, such actions being consistent with previous Senate actions and being subject to review and, if so desired, approval at subsequent Senate meetings;
- b. hears the reports of all Senate committees and take actions in accordance with the purposes of the Senate;
- c. reviews the structure and operation of the Senate and making recommendations to the Senate regarding these issues;
- d. convenes and prepares agenda for Senate meetings;
- e. recommends an annual budget to the Senate in consultation with the appropriate committees and based on the budget proposal submitted by the Financial Officer;
- f. conducts nominations, elections, and other votes with constituents; and
- g. establishes whatever special committees are deemed necessary to discharge its responsibilities.
Officers and committee chairs, as well as part-time faculty serving as Steering Committee delegates, receive compensation according to the Senate Compensation Policy.
The Steering Committee meets monthly during the fall and spring semesters.
Oct 3, 2023, 12:30 pm - Zoom
Oct 31, 2023, 12:30 pm - Zoom
Jan 30, 2024, 12:30 pm - Zoom
Mar 5, 2024, 12:30 pm - Zoom
Apr 9, 2024, 12:30 pm - Zoom
For the full Senate schedule, see Meetings.
Nominations & Elections
Elections for committee chairs and delegates are held each spring semester. Officers are elected every three years. See Nominations for details on deadlines and procedures.